“Outlook Sending reported error 0×80042109: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server” error is a common issue nowadays with Outlook users. What would you do about it? We can help you with this error and the methods to fix it in this blog.
Let us first see why users use Outlook.
It is a web based personal record manager app from Microsoft consisting of webmail, calendaring, contacts, and task services. It does a wonderful job by giving you an organized environment to access messages. With it, you can sort emails by size, date, or sender. But, sometimes, Outlook work gets abruptly halted. You are not able to send any number of emails and get the 0x80042109 error code. What happens in Outlook 2007 error 0x80042109?
What happens in the 0x80042109 Error Code?
Commonly the 0x80042109 error code occurs when you try to send mail by Outlook. The mail sending doesn’t happen but, it shows you about problems on the email server on their screen as:
“Sending and Receiving reported error (0x80042109): Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server.”
“Sending reported error (0x80042109): Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server.”
If you get the first message, that describes that Internet connectivity issues are preventing you from delivering your emails successfully. While the second message informs you that Outlook is not responsive, and it won’t let you perform any action.
What are the causes that triggered such an error? It can occur due to many reasons, let us take a look at them.
Reasons behind the “Outlook sending reported error 0x80042109” Issue:
The error (0x80042109) can be due to several causes like:
- Wrong outlook settings.
- Perhaps the ISP firewall blocks traffic through port 25.
- The installation of Outlook was not done correctly.
- Possibly there is a server-side issue.
Keeping a check on these root causes can often save you from such error in Outlook. But, if the trouble has already happened, then make use of the following methods to resolve it.
DIY Free Methods to Solve Outlook sending reported error 0x80042109:
Method 1: Install Outstanding Updates
Microsoft’s regular updates are developed to take care of complaints about recurring errors faced by users over the platform. So, we suggest that you install any pending updates to get rid of the Error 0x80042109. Although the updation process happens automatically in the background, manual implementation is possible. Here are the steps to manually start the process to take care of the error promptly.
- Find the taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- Pick Settings from the menu.
- Now, choose to Update & Security.
- On the next page, select the right pane, and click Check for Updates.
- Let Windows Update check for available updates.
If updates are remaining, download them. After the updation is complete, restart your computer to install the updates.
Now, test using Outlook again to see if the error is gone. If it stays, try the next solution.
Method 2: Free off Junk with command prompt
For cleaning up, use the command prompt as:
- Tick the Search icon on your taskbar, then type “Command Prompt” (no quotes).
- Right-click Command Prompt from the results, then pick Run as Administrator.
- If prompted to give permission to the app, reply with Yes.
- Inside Command Prompt, type “cleanmgr” (no quotes), then press Enter.
- After that, your system will start searching for and deleting junk files.
Once steps are completed, test Outlook is working fine. If it still shows Outlook sending 0x80042109 error, then try the next method.
Method 3: Modify the Outgoing Port
By default, the value of the standard outgoing SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) port is set to 25. This port value is block by a lot of internet service providers. Then, you can solve it with two solutions:
- Switching to TLS port, then choosing value as 587
- Modifying the SMTP value to 26
The TLS port option implies setting a non-conventional port value. We suggest that you follow the instructions below to make changes:
- Load Outlook, then click Tools.
- Get to Account Settings, then double-click your email address.
- Pick More Settings, then click Advanced.
- Edit the Outgoing server SMTP port to 587, then choose TLS encryption.
- Verify the changes you’ve made.
After editing the outgoing port, check if you can send emails without the error message.
Method 4: Remove and add Outlook Account Info
Since the Outlook application is not working because of the error ‘Outlook sending reported error 0x80042109’, so try to remove and then again add the Outlook application Account. For that, follow these steps as shown:
- Take the help of your keyboard, press Windows Key+I to launch the Settings app.
- As the Settings app opens, select Apps.
- Scroll through the apps to find Outlook.
- Pick Outlook, then choose Advanced Options.
- On the next page, press Reset.
- Here, add your information again.
- Set up your Outlook account, then wait for it to complete the synchronization process.
After establishing your Outlook account, try sending emails again to see if the error is gone.
Method 5: Turn-OFF Your Proxy Server
If you find trouble connecting with the email server, we recommend that you turn-off your proxy server temporarily. As it may interfere with the connection, causing Outlook sending reported error 0x80042109. To turn off the Proxy server, do the following:
- Push Windows Key+S on your keyboard to launch the Search box.
- Within the Search box, paste “CMD” (no quotes).
- To launch an elevated form of Command Prompt, you need to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, simultaneously, on your keyboard.
- Make use of the Command Prompt, execute the following command:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
This command line will remove your proxy server, setting up your system for direct access to the Internet.
If, after trying each of the above methods, still the Outlook 2007 error 0x80042109 persists, then probably, the PST files have gone corrupted. In such a case, the Outlook PST files cannot be restore without professional assistance. But, if you are in shortage of time, then we have got a quick tool Outlook PST Recovery for PST Recovery. This tool gives you instant professional assistance to repair PST files that failed and gave Outlook sending error with all the other methods. With it, you can restore all attachments with the PST file without any file size restrictions. Try this tool to get back all damaged or corrupted PST files with just a click, today.
This blog shares methods to restore Outlook sending reported error 0x80042109. I hope you find a useful method to restore your PST files here.