Summary: If you’re an Office 365 user and looking for the complete Steps To Export Office 365 Mailboxes To PST Using eDiscovery, then read this blog to learn different ways for Office 365 export mailbox to PST. Here, you can use Sysinfo Office 365 Backup Tool for quick, easy, and safe O365 to PST conversion.
Office 365 uses PST files to store the mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, tasks, etc. This file stores mailbox data in simple text format. By taking a subscription to Microsoft 365, you can get Suites of applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage, and many other benefits. But sometimes, many possibilities and reasons may lead to the conversion of Office 365 into PST, such as creating a backup of Office 365 mailbox data on the local system as they can be used in other mail clients like Outlook.
The main reason behind the conversion of Office 365 Mailboxes to PST is that Microsoft doesn’t provide any specific tools specifically for this purpose (like the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet in on-premises Exchange). If you need to export PST from Office 365 Online mailbox to add an advanced layer of protection to your Office 365 data, the eDiscovery mechanism is the only way to do so. In this blog, we will be mentioning some easy steps to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST using eDiscovery.
Reasons for Office 365 Export Mailbox to PST eDiscovery
There are various reasons to convert Office 365 mailboxes to PST format. Let’s take a look at them:
- eDiscovery PST Export tool is available in Microsoft Exchange Admin Center (EAC). Via eDiscovery for the backup process not only to protect data from loss and the option to access Office 365 account data locally as well.
- There is a possibility that the users are not only depending on Microsoft 365 to control and store their data.
- Users want to export PST from Office 365 accounts using eDiscovery to confirm that their account gets attached to the Discovery Management role group.
- There is also recruitment to take backup of Office 365 mailbox data in PST.
- Microsoft eDiscovery PST Export tool allows users to export data from Office 365 to PST easily so that it is simple for the client to access the Office 365 mailbox data.
Exporting PST data from Office 365 is the best solution to overcome the above reasons. Further, there are some requirements before you initiate the migration of Office 365 into PST.
- Need for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and later versions
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- The necessity of Internet Explorer 10 and later versions or Microsoft Edge.
- Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox works only with the ClickOnce add-in installed.
You can also check this blog on how to archive emails in Outlook 365?
Best 2 Methods to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST
There are two top methods to export PST files from Office 365 accounts. The steps are even more complex to execute and need some technical expertise too.
- Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST Via Download eDiscovery PST Export Tool
- SysInfo Office 365 Backup Tool(Simple and Easy-to-Use)
Method 1: Steps To Export Office 365 Mailboxes To PST Using eDiscovery
1. Go to the Office 365 portal and log in with the required credentials.
2. Click on the Menu Icon and select the Admin option from the opening menu. (Accessing Microsoft 365 admin center)
3. In the Office 365 admin center, select the Admin centers and tap on the Security option.
4. In the next wizard of the Security & Compliance center, move to Permissions and check the eDiscovery Manager option.
Note:- It is another required step that you will have to apply while using eDiscovery features.
5. In the eDiscovery Manager role group wizard, click on the Edit button to add your account to the eDiscovery Administrator list.
6. Role group contains the following roles: Case Management, Compliance Search, Review, Export, Hold, RMS Decrypt, and Preview. But if you can’t find an appropriate Export role, click on the Edit role group button to add it.
7. Now, you will have to go to Search >> Content Search.
Note:- If your Content search option gets disabled, it is maybe related to the eDiscovery permissions you set in previously. Once you perform the changes in the eDiscovery permissions might take even up to 24 hours to apply. It all depends on the working of the tool. This issue with permissions might also affect the export/download option at the end.
8. Here, click on the New Search button.
9. Sometimes, the window updates itself, but the functions are similar; you don’t have to worry about this. Here, the search box offers you an option to specify which mailbox data you wish to export. While you check all the locations, it will scan all through the SharePoint online and public folder present in the existing database. If you need to import data from your mailbox folders, opt for Specific locations and click on Modify.
10. At the Modify locations wizard, enable the Exchange email option or go through with Choose users, groups option to select specific mailboxes. Moreover, you can also allow exporting from the SharePoint option and Public folders by applying the Exchange public folders option.
11. Besides the location filter, you will also have the option to permit several other filtering options:
- Apply keywords or phrases.
- Specific time range.
- Have an option to set From/To/CC/BCC fields.
- Offer option to select message types
- Additionally, you can also add other multiple options by entering the Add conditions search field.
12. If you need to export all mailbox data, then do not apply any conditions or keywords. Only click on the Save and Run option and specify the name of the search and its description.
13. After tapping on the Save button, the window will automatically start the searching process in the background. Move back to the Content Search wizard, click on the Refresh button and select the specific search.
14. At the opening pop-up tab, you will find that the search will begin. Additionally, you get particular results and the details concerning, click on the Export results button.
15. Here, select if you want to add encrypted files. You can also opt for a specific option for the Export Exchange content. Remains the Enable deduplication option uncheck unless your exported data will store in a single PST file. After completing and selecting all the required steps, click on the Export button to initiate.
16. Wait till the exportation process gets completed. Here, you can also see the progress of conversion by selecting the search again.
17. After the conversion gets completed successfully, click on the Download Result button to save. Further, tap on the Copy to the clipboard to copy the Export key.
18. An application called eDiscovery PST Export Tool will begin. Here, paste the export key copied previously. Click on the Browse button to assign the destination path for new PST files.
19. Click on the Start button, and the tool will begin the export. After the completion of the whole process, close the application.
While you complete the export process, you can also delete the eDiscovery search from the Content Search window: only the need is to highlight it and click on the trash button.
Export Office 365 Mailboxes To PST Using eDiscovery Issue
While exporting PST files from Office 365 using eDiscovery, you might face some below-mentioned difficulties:
- The possibility that you can’t find the PST Export button or the export cannot finish completely.
- There is also a chance that the Office 365 eDiscovery export creates duplicate files of the data.
- Due to the size and data present in the Output PST, it may get corrupted.
- Sometimes, the conversion steps to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST using eDiscovery take too long.
- In order to perform the search function, it is more problematic and issues relatable.
Method 2: Simple Steps To Export Office 365 Mailboxes To PST Format
Office 365 Export Mailbox to PST security and compliance utility allows users to move Office 365 mailbox data into PST format with 100% data accuracy. The software enables to export of the bulk of Office 365 account data into PST and other file formats like MBOX, CSV, OST, EML, etc. Moreover, you can also convert emails from Office 365 to Gmail, Thunderbird, AOL, IMAP, Hotmail, etc.
Step-By-Step Guide to Export emails From Office 365 to PST
1. Download and install SysInfo Office 365 Backup Tool.
2. Select the option either Backup or Restore.
3. Sign In with the required credentials and check the inspirational features.
4. Select the account from which you want to export data.
5. Check the folders from the tree structure you want to export and click Next.
6. Opt with PST format from the drop-down and required features of the software.
7. Click on the Convert button to start the conversion of Office 365 emails into PST.
Here, you can also save the conversion report of migration.
Using PST files to take the backup of Office 365 account data is not a bad idea. But while performing the steps manually, there is also a possibility of data corruption. Thus, we recommend you use professional software and perform the Office 365 mailbox data into PST conversion with ease.